Sunday, March 24, 2019


March 24, 2019
         
     The Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra concert last night was, to me, spectacular. I am not a brilliant connoisseur of classical music, but I know beautiful, powerful sounds when I hear them. The orchestra played several unusual pieces, including a composition by a female composer, which they try to do as often as possible, and also a violin concerto that sounded a lot like bluegrass music. The violinist spoke to the audience before the concert, saying that she loved bluegrass music as much as classical music, and that she and the composer were trying to blend two sounds – that of the traditional symphony orchestra with that of down-home, sweet-sounding bluegrass music. I loved their way of blending.


Tessa Lark, the soloist on the bluegrass/classical piece

No comments:

Post a Comment