Tuesday, October 16, 2018

LAKE HAMILTON
 
Today I want to be like an endless, bottomless lake. What’s most wonderful about this is that, being like a lake, I won’t have to actually ‘do’ anything today. A lake just stays exactly where it is in the universe, all day long. It’s never doing anything, but always just being. If we could imagine a lake deciding that it wants to be a better lake, it would also realize that it wouldn’t have to do anything to be a better lake, but just be what it always is. This is a hard concept for me to understand - this idea of being rather than doing - because I have always believed in the power of doing. My mantra, for as long as I can recall, has been "if you want to live a happy life, do something". Today, though, I want to be happy by simply being something. Like a lake with no shores and no bottom, I will stop instead of go, wait instead of hurry, receive instead of refuse, say a gentle yes instead of a determined no.  I will be Lake Hamilton, where leaves and sunlight and people and trash and good news and bad news are welcome to come for a rest.
Image result for laurel lake lenox ma images
Laurel Lake, Lenox, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment